9-29-19 Sermon Notes // Philippians Part 3 “The Humble Path to Happiness”
Link to Video: Click Here
“Make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being in spirit and of one mind.” Philippians 2:2 NIV
- ________Don’t _let pride guide you_________________________________
Philippians 2:3a. NIV “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit…
* SELFISH AMBITION: ______It’s always me_______________________
James 3:16 NIV
“For where you have envy & selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.”
- SELF-INDULGENT: shows itself in… conflict, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, self ambition (pride) … causing division among people, feeling that everyone is wrong except those in your little group” vs. 21 I warn you as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
- VAIN CONCEIT: ___I’m always right________ mentality.
- ___Embrace Humility_______! “Instead do nothing out of selfish ambition, or conceit, but in HUMILITY consider others more important that yourselves.” Philippians 2:3 CSB
“God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” James 4:6 ESV
BE LIKE JESUS:
A.__________Don’t demand what you THINK you deserve__________________
“Though he was God, he did not demand and cling to his rights as God, He EMPTIED himself of all he had…” Philippians 2:6-7 CEV
B.___ Find ways to serve people________________________________
“Jesus took on the nature of a servant, becoming a human just like us” Philippians 2:7 ESV
C._____Do the right thing even when it’s hard or hurts__________________
“While living as a man, Jesus humbled himself even more, by being fully obedient to God. Even when that meant his death was on a cross.” Philippians 2:8 NCV
Philippians 2: 9-11
New Century Version (NCV)
9 “So God raised him to the highest place.
God made his name greater than every other name
10 so that every knee will bow to the name of Jesus—
everyone in heaven, on earth, and under the earth.
11 And everyone will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord
and bring glory to God the Father”