3-31-19 Sermon Notes // When Love Speaks “The Word of Substitution” Week 5
Title: “The Word of Substitution”
Matthew 27:45-46 “At noon, darkness fell across the whole land until three o’clock. 46At about three o’clock, Jesus called out with a loud voice, ‘My God, My God, why have You abandoned Me?’”
Abandoned = “deserted, rejected, let go, forsaken.”
- In these two verses Jesus became your substitute and took the punishment for your sins on the cross. 1 John 2:2
2 Corinthians 5:21 “For God took the sinless Christ and poured into Him our sins. Then, in exchange, He poured God’s goodness into us!”
What does the sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross mean?
- God is holy. Revelation 4:8
- Sin is ugly. Isaiah 59:2
- Salvation is costly. Romans 3:25
What should be your response to the sacrifice Jesus made for you on the cross?
- Turn from your sin and trust Jesus to save you.
- Live in a state of gratitude. Romans 5:11
- When you are tempted to sin, remember what your sin
cost Jesus. 1 Peter 1:18-19
Tell others the Good News! 2 Peter 3:9