3-24-19 Sermon Notes // When Love Speaks “The Word of Humanity” Week 4
Title: “The Word of Humanity”
John 19:28-29 “After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!”
29 Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth.”
- Jesus was fully God and fully man.
2 Corinthians 5:19 “God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.”
- When Jesus spoke the words from the cross, “I thirst”, these words revealed His humanity.
- Jesus’ thirst on the cross was not only for water but also for the presence of God His Father.
Satisfying your thirst…
- Understand what you are really thirsty for. Temporal things can never satisfy an eternal being!
Psalm 63:1 “O God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water.”
- Realize that Jesus understands your pain.
Isaiah 53:4-5 “Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed Him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. 5 But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed.”
- Stop looking for satisfaction elsewhere!
John 4:13-14 Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again,
14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”